Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Confusing Phone Call

I always believe when I answer the phone after having been woken by that same phone that I do a spectacular job of covering up the fact that I am not operating at full synaptical power. There are however, a number of people I have conversed with in this fashion who beg to differ.

In any event, to understand why the phone call I got was so utterly befuddling one must understand the factors that converged at this moment.

I spent the previous days of this week locked in the windowless basement of a church getting trained as a census worker. In this basement there was a chick who being rather attractive (the shirts she wore were under considerable strain keeping her chest covered) and of a friendly disposition I fancied somewhat. To my detriment, I failed to act and having completed the training who knows if I'll ever see her again.

Last night I got a call from the guy who lead the training class telling me that we were being assigned a leader and that I should expect a call from this person in the next day or so. So I wrote down this persons information, hung up, and continued drinking. Fastforward to this morning where I am happily passed out in bed when I hear my phone go off.

In a flash I am up and leaping like a drunken gazelle across the room to pick up. I notice as I arrive at my phone that I don't know the number. I conclude that this probably the new crew leader calling me.

"Hello?"
A female voice replies "We're meeting at three, can you make that."

Unphased by the abrupt beginning to the conversation my sleep addled mind is on top of this wrinkle in a snap.

"Yes."
"Ok, we're meeting here."
It is somewhere in here that I instantly decided that the woman I am talking to is in fact the hot chick from training.

"...What?"
"We're meeting here."

My brain is forced to confront the fact that maybe I am not as good faking like I am wide awake because there is something going on that I am quite simply failing to understand.

"...What?"
"We're meeting here." she replies slowly.
"The meaning of 'here' changes based on the speaker."
"At my house."

I am blown away by how fast this hot chick is moving though I instantly suspect something is amiss. I talked to the chick a few times but certainly never enough to learn where she lived. Thus knowing that she knows I have no idea where she lives I realize that I am not talking to the hot census chick. By some miracle I mange to instantly figure out that I am in fact talking to my friend Nicole who I am supposed to meet up with later in the day.

Nicole had gotten a new cell phone since last I talked to her and I had forgotten to put the number in my phone. Thus was ended the most confusing phone call in the world.

And just for the record, had it been the hot census chick, you had better believe I would have been at her place in a heartbeat, hang over be damned.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post matched the title of your blog PERFECTLY. :)

    ReplyDelete