Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Magnetism and Dark Matter

So here is the idea I have been thinking of lately which will no doubt revolutionize the thinking in the field of physics. By which I mean this is a crakpot idea that I can't even begin to prove or back up.

So Dynamo theory says that a magnetic field is generated by circulating electric charges. Now to my knowledge the specifics of dynamo theory are still being worked out but less us assume that it is true. That brings us to the question of planetary magnetics.

There are three possibilities I will then consider here. The first being that various atoms within the earth's mantle have a charge and flow in circulating patterns of some sort and thus create earth's magnetic field. This circulation could be caused by earth's rotation or by convection, I don't know but it isn't important here.

The other possibility I will consider is to view even the mantle as essentially unmoving, a stationary object though still full of atoms with charges. In this view it is earth's rotation that makes the charges act as if they were circulating to generate a magnetic field.

This raises an important question in my mind. So a charge circulates and generates a field. Relative to what does it have to circulate? I know if you run a current through a coil of wire it generates a field, but what if you take something with a charge, tie it to the end of a rope and spin it around really quickly? Will this also generate a field? As essentially this is what I am proposing it does in the second scenario I contemplated.

I am going to skip to the end because I am rather tired now.

So here is the revolutionary bit. What if magnetic fields were generated by the circulation of charges yes. But what if the actual mechanism producing the field is the charges interaction with dark matter? I know I called it antimatter in a recent and rather lengthy post but I meant dark matter. I still mean to go back and correct that.

What if magnetism is the interaction between matter and dark matter? I'll tell you what if: it means that I am a genius. A sleepy, sleepy genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment