Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Uber Rules: Rule 2 You're Not Going to Starve

I don't mind people eating.
In fact, I'm willing to take the bold stance that people should in fact eat.
I do not think people should starve.

However there is a time and a place for eating.
The time is generally not while we're together
and the place is not in my car.

And yet there are countless times I've pulled up to the pickup spot,
the person is already standing on the curb ready to go -great start-
And as soon as the door shuts behind them I hear the crashing static of a Funions bag being opened.

Why?

I've been making my way here for 10 minutes.
By the looks of it you've been standing there with nothing to do the entire time.
You could have finished that bag of snacks off 10 times over.
But you waited until we were crammed together in my car.

So that I too can enjoy the smell of food I can't have and don't like?
Or the soothing sound of screaming plastic baggies 
and the chomping of your jaws that is somehow louder than the background music I have going?
Or is it so that you can leave a trail of crumbs, 
each dusted with that neon orange cheeto cheese, on my dark seats? 
Mementos of our time together that, doubtless, I will cherish forever.

Why?

If you are hungry: eat.
If you are hungry and jumping in a 20 minute Uber: wait.
Chances are you are not so calorie depleted as to expire in that 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment